Free 1940s Knitting Pattern: All Purpose Sweater (Cardigan)

19:44 Renée 0 Comments

I wanted to make a post with an overview of my makes of 2015, but since I haven't even  photographed half of them, that seemed rather useless! I have hardly sewn at all in the last year which was mostly due to my new job, but I did get even more obsessed with knitting. My (blogging) resolution for 2016 will be to catch up with some long overdue finished object posts! I also definitely hope to get back to sewing more, because I do miss it and still have loads of gaps to fill in my (vintage inspired) wardrobe.

Instead, here is a short summary of my 2015 knitting year in review:
- December marks 2 years of knitting (has it only been 2 years?!)
- I finished 14 projects (more than one per month, yay! For comparison, in my first year I only made 5)
- I knitted 6 jumpers.
- I knitted 2 cardigans.
- I knitted 5 shawls/scarfs.
- I made my first pair of mittens (hello, new addiction!).
- I knitted my first stranded colour work project (definitely need some skill improving there).
- I taught myself to knit differently and with 1 strand in each hand for colourwork.

It has also been a while since I last shared a knitting pattern with you all, so I picked a lovely cabled, embroidered cardigan with a Tyrolean feel to it. It was published in Needlewoman and Needlecraft in April 1949. I am not a 100% sure what the weight of the original yarn (W.B. Kwiknit) was, but I found another pattern written for the same wool that was worked with the same needles at 5 sts per inch, so it seems to be a worsted weight. I think Cascade 220 would probably work very well for this cardigan. Unfortunately I was not able to clean up the scan as I usually do since I no longer have access to Photoshop (I am trying to get along with Gimp). I also wasn't able to put it together as a PDF like I usually do, so I uploaded the pages separately on Flickr.

1940s cabled embroidered cardigan

MATERIALS.
17 ozs. (500 gr.) W.B. Kwiknit. A pair of nos. 7 (4.5 mm)  and 10 (3.25 mm) knitting needles. Small balls of ply wool in bright shades. 9 buttons.

MEASUREMENTS.
To fit 34 ins. bust. Length 19 ins. Sleeve seam 18 ins.

TENSION.
One pattern = 2 inches (unpressed).

Get the pattern HERE
Listed on Ravelry HERE

I wish you all a happy new year! I hope 2015 has been good to you, and if not, I hope 2016 will be kinder to you <3



0 reacties:

Please don't hesitate to leave a comment or ask any questions - they are very much appreciated!