Looking at 2015 & a Free 1940s Knitting Pattern for an 'All Occasions' Jumper

14:34 Renée 6 Comments

A belated happy new year everyone! I decided not to do a round up of 2014 because it was rather a bad year for me so there isn't really anything I want to look back at. Like last year, I am saving my sewing & knitting round up for my blog/sewing anniversary which will be in May.

Once again I wanted to treat you guys to a knitting pattern. Today's pattern is one of my translations and comes from Het Rijk der Vrouw (can be translated as "Women's Realm" or "Women's World" or "Women's Empire") 1 August 1942. It is an adorable striped jumper suitable for 'various occasions' (those illustrations!). The pattern is for a size 16-18 years, which I believe is an 88 cm (34½ in.) bust size. No gauge is given, but assuming the finished size is 88 cm, the tension comes down to 28 sts. per 10 cm (4 in.) and one stripe should measure about 1.8 cm (0.7 in). The pattern also doesn't give a yarn weight or needle size (very common for 1940s Dutch patterns it seems) but I would advise to start with 4 ply and 3¼ mm needles and work from there. To get the PDF with both the original Dutch and the English translation CLICK HERE. You can find the pattern on Ravelry here. I will definitely be knitting one for myself this summer!


Here's the lovely cover of the magazine



I'm looking forward to 2015. I wasn't at first, but I realized I need to have a positive attitude and be assertive if I want good things to happen to me. I have to admit that the year did start out pretty good. Our initial financial worries are solved and I got invited for a job interview next week which has been an extremely rare occurrence. This year, I have decided, is going to be the year that I finally get a steady job, but more importantly, it is going to be the year when I discover 'my thing'. I am going to learn pattern drafting and I am going to learn to design knitwear. I am also going to explore some other interests and hopefully, by the end of the year, I will know what I want to devote myself to. This year it is time for me to take control!

6 comments:

  1. You have very good thoughts for 2015 and I truly wish all comes your way dear Renée. 2014 was a terrible year for me and I felt like not sharing a review of it. When I began 2014, I knew it would be a rather difficult one, but even like that I could achieve some little steps that are important to me (so it wasn't all bad). I believe this year will be a much better year! Specially for us that had a terrible one last year ;o)

    Happy 2015!
    Beta x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy 2015 to you too dear! Hopefully this will be a better year for both of us :)

      Delete
  2. Am I very wrong to think that it's nice not to be alone in having had a rotten 2014? For me it got better from August onwards, but it was very hard still. I've suffered from chronic tendinitis in both forearms for the better part of 5 years, and from August 2013 till one year later it was really bad. I don't have any set resolutions for 2015, other than doing my best to keep getting better, and hopefully find a job I can do with my reduced capacity. And do a bit of sewing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not wrong at all! Reading over and over how great someone's year has been can definitely make you (me anyway) feel even more miserable, even though you're happy for that person. It can be nice to have someone to relate to :)

      Delete
  3. Thank you so much for sharing this beautiful pattern, I'm really looking forwards to knitting this up sometime! Wishing you a great 2015, ❤

    xox,
    bonita of Lavender & Twill

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Bonita! Sent me a picture if you make it, I'd love to see it!

      Delete

Please don't hesitate to leave a comment or ask any questions - they are very much appreciated!