Free 1940s Knitting Pattern! And a Knitting Announcement!

13:00 Renée 5 Comments

Still no sewing! Crazy right!? I have been on a sewing hiatus for over a month now. But I don't mind because I've been very occupied with other things. I've got lots of knitting related stuff to talk about today!

First of all, I have been knitting like crazy to finally get my dress finished. I can tell you that I'm quite fed up with it by now, it's taking so much longer than I expected. All that's left to do is the right front and the front yokes. I'll do an update next week to show you what it's starting to look like. Honestly... I'm afraid I'm not going to like it when it's finished.

Next, I've got something exciting to tell you today! I have been purchasing lots of vintage knitting patterns lately, and quite a few Dutch ones. Some of them are so lovely that I thought about translating a few to share them on my blog. But then.. I decided to just translate ALL of them! Of course I can't do this just for free, so I will offer them on Esty. So that's pretty much what I've been doing all day for the past week and a half. And surprisingly, I don't mind the translating work at all. It's actually pretty fun! I'm currently translating a booklet from the early 1940s or late 1930s full of swimsuit patterns and there are some really cute ones in there! I will also be sharing some of the patterns I've translated for free! Yay! Secretly, I hope to maybe design my own knitting patterns one day (and sewing patterns). I think translating patterns is a good first step because it's definitely giving me experience in pattern writing!

Sneak peek of one of the patterns: Nautical bolero

I only have two more swimsuit patterns to translate, then I will have 11 roughly translated patterns and the final round of proofreading and triple checking can begin (making sure I haven't typed "k 4" where it should say "k 2", that kind of thing). I will also be sharing some original English patterns on Etsy, but I want to try to mostly share patterns that are more unique, so not another download of that one famous Beehive / Copley / ... pattern. This way, especially with the translated patterns, I hope to broaden the offer of vintage knitting patterns out there!

Right, so, on to the free knitting pattern! I'm not ready to share any of the translated patterns yet since they still need to be checked a few times for mistakes, so this time it's an original English one. This pattern was a gift from the lovely Bex when I ordered a sewing pattern from her Etsy shop! So I thought I'd continue the spirit of giving and share it here. Click here to view the full PDF. Edit: Now also listed on Ravelry


I hope to share at least 1 knitting pattern on my blog each month from now on!

5 comments:

  1. Oh wow - what a great idea re: translating! I see so many vintage german/french knitting patterns online, fabulous designs but no idea how to knit them.
    You'll certainly have that market cornered :)
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing this I will link it up to The Pattern files ASAP :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, I love this pattern, but is ist possible that page 2/3 in the pdf file is missing? I only see page 1/3 and 3/3...
    Thank you & greetings form Germany
    Adeline

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! The pattern has 4 pages, when I look at the PDF they're all there so I don't know why it's not showing on your computer/device!

      Delete
  4. Thank you for your fast response! I had to download the pdf-file to see all the pages, they are all there! bizarre... Thanks a lot for sharing, the pattern is great!

    ReplyDelete

Please don't hesitate to leave a comment or ask any questions - they are very much appreciated!