Summer Sewing Inspiration & 1940s Palazzo Pants With Simplicity 3364

15:43 Renée 8 Comments

Gosh has it been that long since I last posted?! Well I guess it is simply because I didn't have much to blog about. My skirt for the Sew For Victory challenge has been finished up to the point where I need to hem it (well, minus the pockets, but I'll talk about that in another post). I still haven't got a mirror so unfortunately I am stuck again. So eventually I decided to move on, yet again, to a new sewing project.

Simplicity 3364
Ever since I purchased this pattern, I have been very eager to make a pair of extra wide 1940s summer slacks, also known as palazzo pants. They seem like such an ideal and lovely casual piece of summer clothing. After rummaging through my fabric stash I was holding this cheap, slippery, dark blue synthetic fabric, thinking why on earth I ever bought it when it suddenly hit me; I had it in mind as a test version for the palazzo pants! It is a cheap fabric but it has a lovely shine, color and drape. I don't really know how to describe it.. I guess if lining fabric and satin had a love baby, this would be it.


You might remember that I was planning to use this pattern to make pyjamas as well - I'm not sure yet if these will turn out as 'pants pants' or pyjama pants. If they do turn out as pyjama pants then I will make a matching blouse from the same fabric. The pattern is really simple and I should have them finished pretty quickly - no mirror needed to hem these! Thank goodness. I don't know whether this will be my second entry for Sew For Victory.. maybe I'll just enter the skirt and leave it at that.

The weather has been exceptionally nice here in the UK for the past few days and my hands are just itching to make a summer wardrobe. So I thought I'd share my favorite inspirational images from the 1940s and 1930s of three key garments that I hope to recreate; Palazzo pants, floor length skirts and hooded blouses. Enjoy!

Gene Tierney in a pair of lounging slacks. Her halter top looks identical to the one on the model below - Via
1940 - From the Life archive, photo by Peter Stackpole
"Bold tropical print fashions a new type of lounging slacks costume for the personal wardrobe of Dorothy Lamour. The trousers have a wide waistband, fastened with novel giant hooks and eyes of silver. The fullness of the slacks gives the effect of a skirt and Dorothy´s jumper is scarlet novelty silk. Her necklace of yellow beads alternates with strands of silver chain." - 1940 - Source


Source unknown
1940 - From the Life archive, photo by Peter Stackpole

The resort news for 1942 - Via



Models Lined Up For a Fashion Show, 1941 - Santa Monica, California - Source

Betty Davis for spring 1938
I just love these blouses with hoods! - Mary Anderson, 1940 - Source


Barbara Jo Allen rides a bike. In hooded slack suit. 1943 - Source

8 comments:

  1. Oh geweldig! Die broeken zijn echt ideaal voor in de zomer! Die pijpen zijn echt gigantisch! Maxi rokken zijn ook fijn :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still love those trousers! And it's always nice to see period photographs rather than illustrations. Those show the look works on real people ;)
    Those wide legs are pretty dangerous when riding a bike though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, fietsen is hier in Engeland sowieso al gevaarlijk!

      Delete
  3. Love these images. All this wonderfully glorious drapey fabric. I can't wait to see your pants. Will you do a print in your final version? I've found the perfect pattern for the 40s beach skirt and top…problem is that it isn't for sale anywhere lol. I do have a pattern for the skirt but this one was perfect. Love these pants you are going to make. Fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope to make one with a print, yes, but it depends on whether I can find a suitable (affordable) fabric!

      Delete
  4. Ahh sooo many lovely vintage images :) The floral pants in the second photo are just divine! Can't wait to see your makes :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. How lovely. I am curious to see your finished pants soon. BTW, they also are dangerous when you walk up or down stairs. I nearly broke my neck once because I got caught in the hem of my superwide pajama pants.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear, sounds like I will have to be really careful with these!

      Delete

Please don't hesitate to leave a comment or ask any questions - they are very much appreciated!