Finished: 1940s Knitted Lumber Jacket

00:02 Renée 9 Comments

I finished my second knitting project! Yay! In case you missed my last post, I made the 'Lumber Jacket' pattern, published in The Australian Women's Weekly, March 23 1946. I cast on January 20 and finished it the 24th of February.

I used 4 skeins of Cygnet DK yarn, 100% acrylic, in the shade 'Bottle'. I am not too crazy about it in terms of quality (the plies are very loose), but it-is-SO soft! Especially after washing it with fabric conditioner. I feel like cuddling my cardigan all day long.


I am so happy that the fit turned out exactly the way it looks in the pattern picture. Even though I made a gauge swatch and calculated carefully, I had my doubts whether it would turn out as blouse-y as in the picture while I was knitting. But it's perfect! Never doubt your math, I guess. The only thing I changed is the sleeve length. I added one inch because I like to be able to pull them over my hands when I'm cold.






The pockets and the collar are finished with a crochet edge. Right after I finished the cardigan I looked up a list of crochet terms to translate something, only to discover that there are different terms in US English and UK English. Double Crochet in US is called a Treble in UK. Double Crochet in UK is the same as a single crochet in US. Who would ever expect a thing like that?! Since my pattern is Australian, and uses UK needle sizes, I am pretty sure that the Double Crochet term is English. Meaning: I should have done a single crochet in US terms. It would explain why I felt that my pockets looked too big!



The buttons are just plain black fish eye buttons.

This was a very simple pattern, definitely recommended if you're a beginner! Although I do have to say that the pattern is a little inconsistent sometimes. For instance, for the front it tells you to "continue working in stocking stitch" and totally forgets to mention that you need to work 8 sts of ribbing at the center front as well. Though it was obvious to me, I can imagine some people might get confused.

You can get the pattern for free here, and it is also listed on Ravelry.

9 comments:

  1. Wat is ie leuk geworden! Er staan soms slordige fouten in patronen. Ik ben nu met een haakpatroon bezig en ben al zoveel fouten tegen gekomen, dat ik me afvraag of ze uberhaupt wel hebben gecontroleerd voordat ze het hebben gepubliceerd.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ik snap het ook niet, er zal soms misschien wel een hoop haast achter hebben gezeten!

      Delete
  2. Wow! I'm so impressed with your knitting.

    Slordigheden komen inderdaad veel voor. Ik gebruik vaak breipatronen uit Libelle, Beatrijs of Margriet uit de jaren '40 en '50 en die beschrijvingen zijn vaak heel compact. Je moet dan van te voren lezen en proberen te begrijpen wat het inhoudt terwijl je aan het breien bent.
    (en het feit dat ik gewone breipatronen probeer aan te passen zodat ik ze op de breimachine kan maken, helpt natuurlijk ook niet)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Naturally, Canadian born and raised gal that I am, the fact that you created a lumberjack jacket made me smile from ear-to-ear. It's so pretty and wonderfully classic looking - and that shade of deep green looks flat out gorgeous on you, dear gal. Awesome job on this project!

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just found your wonderful blog and I'm delighted! I'll come to visit many times :-)

    What a beautiful jacket and I also love the color. In Portuguese we also say green bottle.

    Miss Beta

    ReplyDelete

Please don't hesitate to leave a comment or ask any questions - they are very much appreciated!