I'm still alive! On my sewing table And inspiration from an unusual source

15:29 Renée 2 Comments

Hi guys, I thought I'd do a quick post just to let you know that I'm still alive, and what's going on at the moment. As you probably know, I am moving to Southampton in the UK. The move has been a bit of a disaster so far and extremely exhausting, but fortunately things are looking up. We found a house just a few days before my boyfriend had to start his PhD at the university, which was extremely nerve wreaking. We had some problems with getting our stuff there on time, so we had to decide that my boyfriend went ahead to our new home in England, and I am still here with the kitties and all of our other stuff. Well actually, a little of our other stuff. We had to put most in storage because our new home is super tiny. So the house is almost completely empty except for some critical things like clothes, computers, tv, bed and, most importantly, my sewing machine. I am terrible at being alone, and living all alone in this big house for over two weeks makes me feel very anxious. Thankfully I have my cats with me, they make me feel a little bit safer and definitely less lonely. They're probably wondering what they did to deserve all those extra cuddles and snacks.

After my previous enthusiastic post about knitting, I had to put that on the back burner immediately because I had no clue how expensive yarn actually is! Every euro is going into our move at the moment (there's so much money involved!) so I really can not afford it. Fortunately I did find the energy to start sewing again and I am actually simultaneously sewing two versions of one blouse pattern! I am working on Simplicity 4987, view I and II.


I already had everything in my stash needed for these blouses except for matching thread. I had a few remnants which where exactly big enough and I had a big box of black vintage buttons from the 30s or 40s. I am making view one in a dark gray-ish blue, very close to the pattern art, and view two in a slightly lighter (but still dark) blue. I only have to attach the sleeves and sew the buttons and buttonholes so hopefully I'll be able to show the finished result in a day or two.


I had some new sewing inspiration from a rather unusual source. I love to watch So You Think You Can Dance, and when I saw Dan Karaty in this jacket I had an immediate sewing epiphany! I am totally going to make a 1940s dress with gray sleeves, a navy blue bodice and some kind of red accents (buttons, stitching, what ever). I just loved the color combination of his jacket.

I am leaving for England either the 11th or the 12th and I don't know how long it will take before we have an internet connection there, but I think I will be able to blog at least once before I leave.

2 comments:

  1. Good luck on your move! Your new blouse pattern is just lovely. I hope you have time to crank it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wat spannend zeg! Gelukkig heb je je katten om je gezelschap te houden als je alleen thuis bent!

    Goed breiwol kan inderdaad vrij prijzig zijn. Ik koop eigenlijk altijd wol in de uitverkoop. Vaak van Drops, alpaca wol. Die kun je een paar keer per jaar met 35% korting kopen, dat drukt de kosten een beetje. En gelukkig brei ik niet zo snel, dus kan ik vaak wel even vooruit als ik weer wol heb aangeschaft.

    Succes met de verhuizing en met het afmaken van je blouses!

    ReplyDelete

Please don't hesitate to leave a comment or ask any questions - they are very much appreciated!